Order of Junil
- There are two kinds of laws/codes: Moral Law, and civil law
- Moral law reigns supreme over civil law (which is based on context)
- No entity is above obedience to moral law
- Violations of civil law can always be justified in pursuit against a violation of moral law
- Violations of moral law may or may not be justifiable depending on the greater good—in all cases, atonement, compensation, or some other challenge is required
- It is my holy duty to uphold all laws both civil and moral to the best of my ability—when in conflict, I must adjudicate moral law first
- If it comes to my knowledge that someone has broken moral law, I must exact vengeance upon that creature
- If it comes to my knowledge that someone has broken civil law, I must demand justice of that creature—refusal shall be met with vengeance
- I consider people moral and innocent until given a reason to treat them otherwise—these innocents I must protect against those who violate the law
- Undead, demons, devils, and aberrations are by their nature and existence automatically breakers of moral law—the only recourse with these creatures is vengeance
- Though I am permitted by faith to lie, a promise or oath I give is binding unto me
From chapter 2 of Reflections on the State Cults:
The aspiring acolyte was taken to the roof of the basilica, alone with the ranking Confessor. It was a ritual, but one the acolyte had never before observed, and so also a test. Below them lies a city, with its teeming inhabitants. Merchants, soldiers, farmers, laborers, nobles, each on his own task.
“Look out, my son,” commands the confessor, “and tell me what you see.”
“Order,” replies the young acolyte calmly.
The confessor smiles. “How do you see order here? Each man follows his own will.”
“Order is brought by the law. As we follow the code of Junil, we are able to cooperate with one another, bringing about the ultimate expression of order, civilization. Each man’s works contribute to the greater good without him knowing it, so long as those who harbor ill will are constrained by the law.”
“What is the greatest temptation of the faithful of Junil?”
“The children of mercy are redemption and injustice. To show mercy to the murderer is to show contempt for the slain, and to grant mercy to the thief is to impoverish his victims. The redemption of a foe is the greatest achievement, but by forgiveness without contrition one is only allowing future suffering. The brother who grants mercy to all sees compassion as his strength; in truth pride is his weakness and the seeds of future misery are sown in the community. Thus mercy must remain the discretion of the gods.”
“And so what is your greatest calling?”
“Obedience. Unquestioning Obedience.”
This exchange complete, the acolyte was bathed and blessed, becoming a full member of the Order.
Properly following the Order grants several benefits.
1. You learn the Hand Battle Signals language as a part of your training.
2. At 8th level, you gain:
Blessing of Junil
School enchantment (compulsion) [mind-affecting]
Level cleric 4, paladin 3
Casting Time 1 standard action
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets All considered allies
Duration 1 minute/level
This spell grants a sacred-typed +4 to Strength and +2 to Armor Class that lasts while in range of the casting character. Additionally, all allies within the spell’s radius at the time of casting gain a number of temporary hit points equal to the Caster’s level + the Caster’s wisdom modifier.
3. At 12th level, you gain:
School enchantment (compulsion) [non-language-dependent, mind-affecting]
Level cleric 6, paladin 5
Casting Time 1 swift action
Components Usable hand
Targets one sentient creature
Duration 1 round/level
Saving Throw Will staggers for 1 round
Spell Resistance yes
This spell is an upgraded Command spell. The caster gets complete control over the commanded creature, giving commands via mental link. If the caster does not know the language of the commanded creature, the creature will not follow commands but treat the caster as their strong ally. At the start of each commanded creature’s actions after the first, it gets another Will save to attempt to break free from the spell.
5. At 16th level, you become a Confessor and learn Angelic. As with spell and religious languages, using this language to cast a spell removes somatic and non-GP material requirements.
6. At 20th level, you gain an ability granted by Junil himself.
Two Junil-only clerical domains are:
Granted Powers: You have embraced justice as vengeance, and devote yourself to exacting retribution from those who violate your moral code.
Wrathful Rebuke: Once per round when an enemy within 30ft. of you damages an ally that you can see, you can immediately make an attack against that enemy by emanating a forceful blast from your hand: using your attack bonus, make a ranged attack that deals 1 damage per two cleric levels, and requires a fortitude save to avoid getting pushed backward. You can use this 3 + Wisdom modifier times per day.
Oath of Enmity: At 8th level, you gain the ability to focus all of your wrath against one creature. Choose one creature you can see. As a swift action, against this creature you gain a +2 bonus to AC and you may add your Wisdom modifier to attack and damage rolls. While you are not adjacent to the target, your speed increases by 10ft. However, for all other effects your AC is decreased by 4.
This effect immediately ends if either of the following conditions occur on your turn:
- You end your turn further than you started from your target
- You do not attack your oath target
- You become incapacitated
- You target dies
You can use this power for a number of rounds equal to your cleric level per day. These rounds do not have to be consecutive.
- Hold Person
- Magic Circle Against Chaos
- Order’s Wrath
- Righteous Might
- Hold Person, Mass
- Discern Location
- Storm of Vengeance
Granted Powers: You are an agent of justice, a force of balance that protects the innocent and punishes the guilty.
Ward the Innocent: As a standard action, you may touch a non-hostile, lower HP creature to imbue it with a warding of law. That creature gains a bonus to AC and saving throws equal to one-half your cleric level for 1 minute per cleric level, or until the creature makes anything other than a move action (subject to DM discretion). You can use this ability 3 + Wisdom modifier times per day.
Exact Penance: At 8th level, as a standard action you can cause your eyes to blaze with a sacred power that causes your foes to hesitate. One enemy that you can see must make a Will save with DC equal to 10 + ½ Cleric Level + Wisdom modifier, or lose the ability to attack or take any offensive action on its next turn as it is forced to confront the immorality of its actions. You can use this ability 3 + Wisdom modifier times per day.
- Zone of Truth
- Dispel Chaos
- Mark of Justice
- Shield of Law